The DynamicPDF Designer defines a general layout of a PDF report as a template that is saved as a DLEX file. A DLEX file is XML and defined by DynamicPDF's DLEX schema (DLEX). The DynamicPDF LayoutEngine then uses the DLEX to generate the actual PDF report.
In the Designer you can,
- set page heights, widths and margins,
- set header and footer sections,
- add elements to any section,
- include multiple reports in a single report, and
- add static pages before or after reports.
The Designer generates a template for a report as a DLEX file. The actual report is generated by the LayoutEngine as follows:
- A new page is added to the PDF using the defined dimensions and margins specified in the DLEX file.
- The header and footer are placed on the page.
- The detail section (defined in the DLEX file) is then added for every record in the the recordset.
- The report is complete upon reaching the end of the recordset. If a recordset contains more than a single page of data, then a new page is created and the records for that page are added.
- Repeat the steps 1 to 3 until all records have been displayed.