Creating PDF Reports (Layout Engine) Overview
Programmatically creating real-time PDF reports using DynamicPDF Core Suite for .NET (previously DynamicPDF ReportWriter for .NET functionality) is simple and straight forward. DynamicPDF Designer makes it easy to visually create DLEX files (report templates) for use with DynamicPDF ReportWriter for .NET. The main class that is used is the DocumentLayout class. It loads DLEX files and creates PDF reports based on them.
Creating a report flow:
- In Designer, create a report template (a DLEX file) and save it.
- In your code, create a DocumentLayout class from that DLEX file.
- Call the Layout method to return a Document object that contains the reports data.
- Output the document to a file, Stream, byte array, or directly to IIS output stream.
- The object returned from the DocumentLayout.Layout method is a Document object. Because of this, it is easy to use any of the PDF creation features with your reports as well. See the PDF Creation Overview topics for more information.
For more information on using the DLEX files refer to the DLEX Files topic.